Are you looking for a fun and easy craft to do with your kids or by yourself? Look no further than origami boats! With just a rectangular piece of paper, you can create a cute and functional boat that can sail on water or simply serve as a decorative piece. In this step-by-step tutorial, we’ll show you how to make an origami boat using rectangular paper, with or without a sail.
Whether you’re an experienced origami artist or just starting out, this easy origami boat craft is perfect for all skill levels. So gather your paper and let’s get started on this fun and creative project!
Origami Boat Craft Tutorial for Kids and Adults
- A rectangular sheet of craft paper
- Glue (optional).
- Scissors (optional).
- Colorful craft paper and card stock paper (for the flag).
Origami Boat Craft Step By Step with Picture Instructions:
Step 1: Prepare The Rectangular Origami Craft Paper:
For this origami boat craft, you need rectangular origami craft paper. If your paper has a colored side, make sure it is facing down.
Fold the paper in half horizontally to create a crease in the missile part of the paper.
Fold the paper in half vertically to create another crease in the middle and open the fold.
Bring the right edge of the paper towards the center crease line, folding it diagonally to create a triangle shape on one corner. Press it down to crease the fold.
Step 5: Make The Main Creases For The Origami Boat:
Repeat the same process for the other edge of the paper on the right-hand side, folding it diagonally to create another triangle shape. Crease the fold again.
Fold the bottom edge of the paper up along the bottom of the triangular folds.
Flip it over to the other side.
Repeat the process again and fold the bottom edge along the edge on the other side.
Open the gap in the middle of the folded triangular-shaped origami pattern.
Step 10: Getting The Origami Piece Ready For Final Step:
Bring the top corners of the paper down towards the center of the paper, folding them along the diagonal creases on two sides. This will create a diamond shape.
Fold the top layer of the bottom point of the paper up along the top edge of the paper to create a triangle shape.
Flip it over. Repeat the process again. it will create a triangle shape.
Step 15: Finish Making The Boat:
Similar to step 9 open the gap in the middle.
Fold it along the two creases on to sides to create a diamond shape.
Gently pull the two sides of the boat apart to create a small opening.
Pinch the bottom corners of the boat and pull them down slightly to make the boat more stable.
To make the flags cut out triangular colorful craft paper and a thin strip from cardstock paper.
Congratulations, you’ve successfully completed your origami boat craft! With just a few simple folds, you’ve transformed a square piece of paper into a beautiful and functional boat. Whether you’re using it to sail on water or simply as a decorative piece, your origami boat is sure to be a source of pride and joy. We hope you enjoyed this step-by-step tutorial and that you continue to explore the world of origami and other creative hobbies. Don’t forget to share your creations with friends and family, and keep on folding!
Overall, origami is a fun and engaging craft that can offer a range of benefits for both your physical and mental well-being.
Origami craft can be incredibly fun for a number of reasons. Here are a few:
- Creativity: Origami is a form of creative expression that allows you to explore your imagination and bring your ideas to life in a tangible way. With just a piece of paper and your own two hands, you can create a wide range of designs, from simple shapes to complex animals and objects.
- Relaxation: Folding paper can be a calming and meditative activity that helps to relieve stress and anxiety. Many people find origami to be a therapeutic hobby that helps them unwind after a long day or during a difficult time.
- Accessibility: Anyone can try origami, regardless of their age, skill level, or budget. All you need is a piece of paper and some basic folding techniques to get started, and you can practice and improve your skills over time.
- Social connection: Origami can also be a social activity that brings people together. You can attend workshops, join online communities, or share your creations with others, creating a sense of camaraderie and connection around this shared passion.
If you enjoyed this origami boat tutorial you might also like this origami star step-by-step tutorial from us.
Here is another kind of Origami Sailor Boat you can make.